Thursday, October 18, 2007

Risdoh & the creation of modern Cameroon

My great grand parents, who came from far away land were also called Brogota. As I have promised you long ago, this is now the story of Risdoh. She is a black African girl, from a predominantly black African country called Cameroon. Risdoh carried on her all the signs that, Satan is strong and also that, the bible is the word of God. It is from the day that I, Brogota, I set my eyes on the angelic figure, but devilishly malicious in her thoughts and intentions, that, I had to beg God to forgive me for all the doubts that, I used to have about him and his real existence. I also want to beg God to forgive me about the first short stories and the revelations on the behaviours of my ancestors toward him. God, that is, the God of those of us who are Christians, know that, we human beings, do sin regularly because, we are the descendants of Adam and Eve. I have also asked God in prayers to forgive my great grand parents, but I don’t know whether he will have the kindness to forgive them.

Well, it is from Risdoh’s mouth that I heard these words: A white man or nothing. But before I narrate to you the story of Risdoh, I first want to present Cameroon to you. It is a black African country located in West Africa. It is a black African country because, most people who live there are blacks and also because, on the continent of Africa, not every one is black. Cameroon is not the creation of Cameroonians because, there is no such thing like Cameroonian. For as I have been explaining to you, Cameroon means prawns and it is the creation of Europeans, before the White men came, there existed many nations living in what is called today, Cameroon. The only place in what is today known as Cameroon that had the same appellation of a country as White people have or think, was in the northern part. That between the 12 and 16th centuries and several nations existed in the north of what is Cameroon and Nigeria, amongst them were the Sokoto, Borno and Adamawa empires.

Modern Cameroon was founded by the Germans, who had first e signed a treaty with the King of the Douala people by name Rudolph Douala Manga Bell and in 1884, at a Conference in Berlin, Germany, where Europeans sat to share Africa amongst themselves, the German ownership of Cameroon was confirmed. But since Europeans are envious, rapacious and greedy people, they started fighting each other again and in 1916, the Germans were driven away from Cameroon and in all other countries that they had in Africa. And therefore, Cameroon created by the Germans, went under the control of another set of White men. This time around, the French and the British and this made Cameroon to become two nations. One which speak English and the other that speaks French and the White men being what they are, they promised the two Cameroonians that, they will have their independence. For once, they (Europeans) respected their words, but in part.

No comments: