Saturday, April 5, 2008

Love triangle: the battle to win a heart, the case of Boakov ( part 2 & final part)

But suddenly he discovered that Nkong was no longer uninterestingly simply flipping through his photo albums, she had on stopped on page and was showing some interest in one picture. It was like deliverance to Boakov, he was happy. He walked like a cat toward her and said: “Oh, that picture was taken during Empire day celebrations in West Cameroon.” Then, he told Miss Nkong: “I did not invite you into my office to show you my photo albums nor talk about politics. My daughter, as you can see, those photos are the past and the past is the past, but we don’t have to forget. We have to think about a great future, that we all expect will be better than the past and the present.” He continued: “I must nonetheless tell you that, West Cameroon was not like this place (unified and majority French-speaking Cameroon), but our leaders in West Cameroon thought otherwise and here we are today. But look, we don’t have to eternally keep on accusing late Dr John Ngu Foncha MP or late Solomon T. Muna MP, because they brought us here. I am of the opinion that, the British government then, I don’t know whether in power were the Tories or Labours and the United Nations, both never wanted us to be independent”.

Suspecting that, Miss Nkong was uncomfortable, he paused and said: “Well, don’t you dare think, my friend that, I am just an ordinary nationalist Anglophone, who sees no good in unification. Think for yourself, how come that, we were given only two options during the referendum of 1961 (unification with Cameroon or integration with Nigeria)?” He concluded. Sensing now that, he was focusing too much on politics and it might frighten off Miss Nkong, Boakov told her: “I am no longer a young man as your classmates are, therefore, I will go straight to the point on why you are here in my office. I am inviting you to visit Buea, our former capital, which is today, a simple provincial capital. Guinness Cameroon, as you know, do organise and sponsor the Mount Cameroon Race, hence I want you to come along with me.” Miss Nkong was surprised, but was already expecting the sort of advances from him. Why? Simply, because since she came into his office, they have not discussed anything academical. But clever Boakov, never leaves a cat go. As soon as Miss Nkong wanted to murmur out some words, Boakov interrupted her and told her that: “that was all what I wanted to tell you. If you like the idea, tell me before the end of the day.”

No comments: