Friday, May 30, 2008

The meeting in Nyanon between Nguelemedouga & Cappolytree

For all the petition letters written against Nguelemedouga, and petition writing being one of the specialities of Cappolytree and also that of people of his region and which could change the career of any civil servants in the area, had little or no effect on Nguelemedouga. Even though disappointed at his low level reception, Cappolytree fought to put on an Olympian calm, and walked into the reception room of the office of the sub district officer, made himself known to the secretary and sat in the sofa like all other people who had an appointment with the representative of the government in the area. After Nguelemedouga had received all those who were there before Cappolytree, the secretary of the boss of the sub district called out the name of Cappolytree and informed him that, it was his turn. He rose up and walked into the office where Nguelemedouga was standing at the centre of his office. They saluted each other, and then Nguelemedouga signalled to Cappolytree to have a seat. They did not exchange pleasantries and Nguelemedouga began attacking Cappolytree verbally: “Do you think that, I will support a fraudster to a point of supporting him to be elected Member of Parliament?” Cappolytree could not even open his mouth to respond. Nguelemedouga bombarded him again: “I have a lot of information concerning you and I have also been informed in detail on all the petitions you and your brothers have written concerning me. But I will want to remind you that, I am a native Beti and I have worked in areas of this country that are more dangerous than this one”. He continued: “I am therefore not one bit impressed by you or your brothers. Whatever I plan to do, I will do it and I am here to serve the state and not the CPDM party or the head of state”. He concluded: “I am not a politician, but a civil servant.”

If Cappolytree doubted that Nguelemedouga despised him, he now had an opportunity to authenticate it. Shocked, as he was the only thing he could do was not to counter attack but try to calm the inflamed sub district officer and also try to create an opportunity for friendship. Cappolytree told Nguelemedouga: “calm down boss”. And he jokingly added: “You that, you Betis were ours slaves in the past before the White men came and remember, once a slave, a slave remains a slave, even long after he may have won his liberty”. Flattered and impressed by the traits of humour of Cappolytree, Nguelemedouga replied: “No, the Bassas are the ones who were the slaves of the Betis and not the contrary.” Then Cappolytree sensing that, he has destabilised and perhaps succeeded to calm the anger that Nguelemedouga had toward him, he said gently: “I am here to see you as a brother and I know you can help me out”. He continued: “Look, I don’t want Yaoundé to be concern about this. It is a matter between you and me. It is matter that concerns the heart and the toe.” Nguelemedouga interjected: “Be very clear Cappolytree. And please I don’t want proverbs in our conversation”. And like a child, Cappolytree, an exuberant burly responded: “all right boss”. And he added: “I am going to use one stone to kill two birds”. Nguelemedouga interrupted him again: I have warned you not spice our conversation of today with any proverbs. “Ok!” Cappolytree replied. And he went on: “I am going to be very clear and direct”. “That is good. Now, tell me what and how you want me to help you, as a brother as you are claiming?”

No comments: